using dd to dump an image file to a floppy

John dcbuddy at dcbuddy.com
Mon Apr 16 18:34:59 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I'm trying to make boot and kern floppies, using dd, as follows:

Cdrom is mounted, floppy is mounted (and I have test written to it)

I have the 6.2 disk 1 in the cdrom drive (the "floppies" directory contains
the disk images I'd like to write)

I'm in the /cdrom directory

When I try to "disk image" the boot.flp file, here's what happens:

# dd if=floppies/boot.flp of=/dev/fd0

dd: /dev/fd0: Operation not permitted

I keep getting the "operation not permitted" message.

As I said before, I CAN write to the fd0 (floppy drive), and I am logged in
as "root".

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

So here's to the role of time, patience, and reflection in our lives.  If we
believe it is better to build than to destroy, better to live and let live,
better to be than to be seen, then we might have a chance, slowly, to find a
satisfying way through life, this flicker of consciousness between two great
silences.