locking down scsi device id's in 6.2

Robert Marella rmarella at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 00:42:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:51:12 -0400
"Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>     Thanks. Still no good, basically it just brought me back to where
> i was. Do you know anyone else who might have an idea on this?
>     Thanks for all your help.
>     Dave.

Perhaps I have been leading you on a wild goose chase. I have re-read
all of your posts and I now understand that you want to wire down bus,
target and unit.

It is my understanding that the device.hints will wire down the device
(i.e. /dev/sa# or in my case /dev/da#). I played around with my system
with the external firewire drive and as long as I have the lines in
device.hints the 0-0-0 is reserved for the drive whether it is plugged
in or not. The optical drives remained at 2-0-0 and 2-1-0.

I then plugged in a USB thumb drive and rebooted. This forced the
optical drives from 2-0-0 and 2-1-0 to 3-0-0 3-1-0 respectively.

I then plugged in a USD card reader and rebooted. This forced the
optical drives to 4-0-0 and 4-1-0.

I thought about this for awhile and looked at dmesg again. I then
edited /boot/device.hints as follows

### Wire down external hd to da0###
hint.scbus.0.at="sbp0"
hint.da.0.at="scbus0"
hint.da.0.target="0"
hint.da.0.unit="0"

hint.scbus.1.at="ata1"   #optical drives on the second ata cable.
hint.cd.0.at="scbus1"
hint.cd.0.target="0"
hint.cd.0.unit="0"

hint.cd.1.at="scbus1"
hint.cd.1.target="1"
hint.cd.1.unit="0"

this forced the optical drives back to 1-0-0 and 1-1-0 no matter what
other devices are plugged in.

[robert at asus64] ~> camcontrol devlist
<WD External HDD Dev 0100>         at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
<SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A PYS1>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass1)
<TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-M1802 1030>    at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (cd1,pass2)
<USB2.0 CardReader CF RW 0814>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (da1,pass3)
<USB2.0 CardReader SD RW 0814>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 1 (da2,pass4)
<USB2.0 CardReader SM RW 0814>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 2 (da3,pass5)
<USB2.0 CardReader MS RW 0814>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 3 (da4,pass6)
<SanDisk Cruzer Mini 0.1>          at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (da5,pass7)

This may be what you want.

I hope this helps.

Robert

P.S. I am adding the list back in.