kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Sat Apr 14 06:17:10 UTC 2007

The latest version of Opera claims to be faster by taking advantage of
"shared X memory" if I set the sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed.

I don't like to change sysctls from their default settings unless I
understand the consequences.  I've been unable to find a manpage that
describes this setting.  The description "Enable/Disable attachment to
attached segments marked for removal" sounds a bit frightening to me.

Would anyone care to comment on the effects and risks of changing this
setting on a private desktop machine?