Virally licensed code in FreeBSD kernel

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Apr 14 05:19:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 07:21:41PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I just read with some concern the announcement that Sun's ZFS has
> been integrated into the FreeBSD kernel. This would mean,
> unfortunately, that FreeBSD is now covered by the CDDL, which is a
> viral license similar to the GPL. Has FreeBSD abandoned its
> longstanding practice of keeping the kernel truly free?

It is not compiled in by default - for license reasons.
In this respect it is no different than the GPL-licensed kernel components
which are also not compiled in by default.

To use either you will have to either compile a custom kernel, or load the
component as a module.

I.e. the FreeBSD kernel is still just as free as it has always been.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se