Syslog not logging remote host

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Apr 14 00:48:12 UTC 2007

"Janos Dohanics" <web at 3dresearch.com> wrote:

> I'm trying capture logs from m0n0wall, but the log file is empty.
>
> Here is my configuration:
>
> On the logging machine, in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> syslogd_flags="-a 10.61.70.1"
>
> In /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> +10.61.70.1
> *.*                                             /var/log/m0n0wall.log
>
> /var/log/m0n0wall.log exists and writable:
>
> -rw-rw-r--  1 root  network  0 Apr 13 00:32 /var/log/m0n0wall.log
>
> The m0n0wall is configured to send logs to 10.61.70.100, which is the
> logging machine.
>
> What am I missing?

Start with tcpdump on the receiving machine:
tcpdump 'port 514'
to see if you're even receiving messages from the monowall machine.

If not, then double-check your config on the monowall machine.  If so,
check the receiving machine.

Did you restart syslogd on both systems after making config changes?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com