Cannot delete user???

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Fri Apr 13 14:55:29 UTC 2007

  Hi,

I cannot remove the user with 'miller'. pw says it does not exists.
However, rmuser says that it does exist, but it cannot delete it (I get
a "no such file or directory" message). I also tried to re-add this
user, but it also fails. (I have deleted 'miller' from /etc/passwd, but
it is no use...) Please see below. How can I remove this user?

Thanks,

   Laszlo

gandalf at something.com~#pw userdel miller
pw: user 'miller' does not exist: No such file or directory
gandalf at something.com~#rmuser miller
Matching password entry:

miller:*:1038:1003::0:0:Thomas Miller:/home/miller:/bin/csh

Is this the entry you wish to remove? y
Remove user's home directory (/home/miller)? y
Removing user (miller): home passwdpw: user 'miller' does not exist: No
such file or directory
.
gandalf at something.com~#adduser
Username: miller
Full name: Thomas Miller
Uid (Leave empty for default):
Login group [miller]: users
Login group is users. Invite miller into other groups? []:
Login class [default]:
Shell (sh csh tcsh scponly nologin) [sh]: csh
Home directory [/home/miller]:
Use password-based authentication? [yes]:
Use an empty password? (yes/no) [no]:
Use a random password? (yes/no) [no]:
Enter password:
Enter password again:
Lock out the account after creation? [no]:
Username   : miller
Password   : *****
Full Name  : Thomas Miller
Uid        : 1041
Class      :
Groups     : users
Home       : /home/miller
Shell      : /bin/csh
Locked     : no
OK? (yes/no): yes
pw: login name `miller' already exists
adduser: ERROR: There was an error adding user (miller).
Add another user? (yes/no):