Boot failure after installation

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 19:37:39 UTC 2007

I have BOTH "ad0" (IDE HDD) AND "da0" (SCSI device #0). I posted detailed BIOS settings and install steps in previous emails. I've attached the BIOS and SCSI BIOS settings (with footnotes).

I have installed FreeBSD on da0 multiple times, each time creating a single slice/partition on da0, and setting da0 as bootable, and installing the FreeBSD boot manager on da0. OK?

I also found an IDE HDD yesterday, and installed Linux on ad0 (the IDE HDD), but am getting the exact same boot failure.

I tried setting my bios to try booting from IDE drives first (before SCSI), and vice-versa (SCSI first, which is what it was set to), with no change.

I also tried removing the IDE HDD and booting, but boot from CD-ROM drive hangs, and boot from "C" fails.
I did not change BIOS settings re the (removed) IDE HDD. I've never worked on a machine that has both SCSI and IDE controller/drive configuration, and am not sure how to disentangle the IDE hard drive from the system without causing new problems. Ended up reinstalling the IDE HDD for now, but would like to remove it for use elsewhere (this machine has 5 SCSI drives, so don't need it).

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> Will someone please explain in detail how to run the FreeBSD fdisk util
> outside of the freebsd installer? Please provide detailed steps.

You just type   fdisk devname   where devname is the disk device.

There are a number of flags and parameters you may need to use.
Have you read the fdisk man page?    Also read the bsdlabel man page.

> What would the experts do next in this situation? I've checked and double-checked BIOS (current version is same as what I have -- 1013, so did not re-flash), SCSI BIOS (reset defaults and low-level formatted da0). I've performed "Minimal" FreeBSD install per step-by-step directions, and always says it's installed successfully, but can never boot from da0 (since repartitioning using FreeBSD "fdisk" util). I've verified that I'm creating a single partition (slice) on da0, making it the "active" partition, then setting it Bootable.

I would first ignore the issue of cylinders as has been mentioned.

> I booted the FreeSBIE LiveCD, and tried to mount da0:
>     mount /dev/da0 /mnt
>     mount: /dev/da0: Operation not permitted

First of all, do you even have a da0 drive?  Maybe it is  ad0

Second, is there a file system build on da0a?    I haven't seen anything
that indicates it.   You can only mount a file system.   Fdisk doesn't
have much to do with creating a file system.   That is newfs.

The standard way to build a disk is:
  Use fdisk to create slice[s] (1..4)  -- and possibly write an MBR on the disk.
  Use bsdlabel to divide the slice in to partitions (a..h) and possibly
      write a boot sector on the slice.
  Use newfs to create file systems on each of the partitions except swap & c.

Then you can mount any of those newfs created filesystems.

You must first read the man pages for those utilities and also study the
relevant handbook sections.   Also, peruse the FreeBSD-questions archives.
I have written on this several time recently.   Find and read those.

Then, if you have further specific questions, come back and ask.  But, you
must do your homework first or our answers will be useless to you and a
waste of our time.

////jerry