KVM over IP (Was: Re: adding keyboard after reboot with no keyboard) ...

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Apr 11 21:19:35 UTC 2007

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >Does anyone know of a reasonably priced one?  Our newer servers, we've
> >been using HP servers, so that we have this built in, but I have 6 older
> >servers that I'd love to be able to deal with remotely without headaches
> >... I only need to be able to access one at a time ...
> >
> >I've tried the 'serial console' route, but if the server crashes, logging
> >in to the serial console doesn't show you anything, whereas, with the HP
> >'remote console' feature, its the same as a KVM, where running it does a
> >screen refresh, so that I can see what is on the screen at the time of the
> >crash ...
> >

> >- --On Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:09:37 -0500 Derek Ragona
> ><derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:

> >>This is a limitation of the hardware in the keyboards and the
> >>motherboards.
> >>The only solution I have found is to use a KVM switch which keeps the
> >>keyboard and mouse ports active during bootups.
> >>
> >>        -Derek
> >>
> >- ----
> >Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> >Email . scrappy at hub.org                              MSN . scrappy at hub.org
> >Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664
> >
> Aloha,
>
> Reasonably priced in US $
>
> You can get a KVM switch from Newegg.com for a little over $100. US.
>
> Hawking Technology CS168 8 Port is what we installed in our rack here.

Is it operable from a network connection?   That seemed to be
a main requirement.    There are lots of KVMs that can be hooked up
to a monitor and keyboard and even a few that have some special control
port.  But, the ones that take a plug-in with a network cable to login
and control it tend to be quite expensive.

I would like to find an inexpensive one that takes a net connection as well.

////jerry