Advice on how to memorize images

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 01:15:38 UTC 2007

You can use MySQL or any other relational database to cross-reference/catalog storage locations and information about a large quantity of items/data such as pictures.
IMHO, to make such a project worthwhile, you need a database design that serves your needs. If you don't want to design/develop it yourself, you can probably find a free cataloging program or database schema that will work well.

You store the actual images in a filesystem, and insert database records that have a field for specifying the path/filename where the image is located and other fields such as date/time photograph was taken, a name and/or description, etc.
You will want to have one or more tables for categorizing your images (at least two levels deep) to make it easier to find the one(s) you are looking for.
I would provide several ways to cross-reference images (based on one or more criteria).

Vittorio <vdemart1 at tin.it> wrote: I'm now moving my first steps in trying to memorize my many digital
photos (for the time being some 700 pictures but rapifdly growing,
average size among 800-900kb)  in a "centralised system" easy to deal
with. I'm now  successfully (but still in an experimental level) using
a postgresql 8.0.2 db with its wonderful lo_creat, lo_export, etc
functions.
Unfortunately I've read in the internet many criticism on
the use of mysql or pgsql db to memorize images, that this is not an
efficient way to do the job (no alternatives seem to be proposed
anyway!) because the db easily becomes cumbersome  (isn't that the
"core business" of a great db such as mysql or pgsql?).

Could someone
out there tell an almost definite word on this subject with some
suggestions (other applications?) based on real experience?

Ciao
Vittorio