Uninstalling Ports Question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Apr 10 21:49:46 UTC 2007

> Say I have a new system with nothing installed on it yet from the ports
> collection. Lets say I install Apache and lets say it requires php,
> python, perl, and ruby. Now lets say I uninstall Apache with "pkg_delete
> Apache". Will it remove php, python, perl, and ruby? Or will it leave
> those packages? Even if nothing else is depending on them?

The system does not automatically clean up dependencies for you.  If
you uninstall a package that leave dependencies behind, you'll have to
clean them up yourself.

> If it does, how can I remove those quickly with a pkg_* command? Also,
> what happens if other programs I installed later use php, python, or
> perl? I'm guessing they would just be left?

Install and use ports-mgmnt/pkg_cutleaves.  It solves these problems if
you always use it to uninstall software.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com