uhub0: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:54:38 UTC 2007

On 10/04/07, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN <luck at computerking.ca> wrote:
> Hello friendly FreeBSDier's i am tring to make my machine work with a Motorola usb modem and get the below errors in my dmesg. I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem.
>
> FreeBSD new.computerking.ca 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0
>
> usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xa800-0xa81f irq 10 at device 7.3 on pc
> i0
> uhci1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
>
> Later in the demesg i get this either when i plug the modem in or if i reboot with it plugged in. Funny cause it worked once and gave me cdce0 in my ifconfig so i added a line to my /etc/rc.conf like this
>
> ifconfig_cdce0="inet 68.146.204.153 netmask 255.255.252.0"
>
> to set a static ip then restarted and it now it just gives me the below error and no device in shows up in my ifconfig
>
> uhub0: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed
> uhub0: device problem (SHORT_XFER), disabling port 2
>

> also i have these in my dmesg the look strange to me and thought that mabey they might be related.

What Hardware are you on, to be more specific: Are these onboard USB
ports, or is this a PCI board?

Last time I've seen these messages I had an USB PCI board installed.
The chip itself was claimed to be supported, but it was a newer
revision. I guess it got recognised properly, but due to some revision
specific changes it couldn't be initialised.
In my case everything USB 2 didn't work, but the board was usable with
USB 1 devices. Well, it just makes no sense if you want to attach a
disk to it.