Sysinstall does not install GENERIC kernel

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Mon Apr 9 09:38:55 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:23:38AM +0400, Belov, Sergey wrote:
> >
> > > hit the same bug too with FreeBSD-6.1. To workaround this, i've just
> > > added the distribution set "GENERIC" to dists (this value wasn't
> > > mentionned on the sysinstall manpage by the way :-( )
> > > So try with this:
> > > dists=base GENERIC catpages info manpages proflibs kernel
> > > distSetCustom
> >
> > Thank you. I've also found interesting thread here:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-June/123640.ht
> > ml
> >
> > It seems that automatic installation mechanism is far from perfect and
> > there's nobody
> > who interested in fixing the problems.
>
> Are you sure it was not fixed in 6.2?
>
> Kris

distSetCustom has been broken ever since the goo was added to make
sysinstall smart enough to install either GENERIC or SMP depending on
how many processors are in the machine.  After that change was made
the kernels target to distSetCustom stopped working.  My workaround
has been to hack the distSetMinimal target in sysinstall to put in
what I want.  I guess I should've submitted a PR at some point...

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel