Fontconfig question... .

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 17:48:51 UTC 2007

On 06/04/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>         When I fire up mozilla, firefox, OO-2.1.0, and whatever else,
>         I'll see this to stdout:
>

>           pe 16:37 <tao> [5433] mozilla
>           Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.
>           Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/db/fontconfig</cachedir>
>           Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>
>
>         I've got a seriously old, severely cheep CD with 1500 fonts, plus
>         hundreds more I've gleaned that are free.  I've clicked around on
>         firefox and mozilla but have no idea how to find, much less:
>         "Check configuration."
>
>         I've read  the html in /usr/X11R6/share/doc/fonconfig, but don't
>         see any {/usr/local}/etc/fonts directory.  [???]

You might be in need to issue a "fc-cache" command.
The command builds cache files that are read by fontconfig. Maybe they
are missing from your system.
I had such an issue a long time ago, so I might be wrong here. But
fc-cache just needs a few seconds to execute so it won't hurt. And it
won't break anything. ;-)

>         Can anybody clue me in?
>
>         gary

HTH