hardware problems?..how to disable geom?

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 10:55:22 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I have sinned:-(

I have (for testing purposes) activated geom for mirroring on my freebsd 6.2 via c3 cpu system. However, I used two different brand IDE harddisks but identical in capacity.

I have:
ad0: 76319MB <MAXTOR STM3802110A 3.AAK> at ata0-master UDMA100
ad3: 76319MB <Seagate ST3802110A 3.AAJ> at ata1-slave UDMA100

At first everything worked, but lately I have noticed some weird things:
1) In the beginning the gmirror status command was showing the complete status for the components ad0 or ad3 (it was altering I guess due to the round robin thing I choose)
However since a few weeks, only the ad0 component shows the complete status

(the only thing I did in between was removing the seagate harddisk once to try to go to a pc mall and buy a second one but when I returned I just reattached it (I hadn't switched the pc on though in the mean time so I don't think it's an issue))

2) I started to have problems building the ports and make buildword

3) bash core dumped on my (I couldn't log in nomaly anymore and had to use csh)

4) now I see that rsyncd, freshclam and clamav are core dumping when the machine boots up:
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad3 detected.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad3 activated.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 activated.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a
pid 896 (rsync), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
pid 928 (clamd), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
pid 934 (freshclam), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)

So I want to bring the machine back to its normal state by doing this:

a) remove seagate harddisk
b) remove the mirror
c) see if everything works fine again because I don't want to reinstall (I CAN GET AWAY WITH THIS RIGHT?)

The question is, how di I get rid of the mirror? Or is it better to order a new seagate harddisk, get rid of the maxtor harddisk and install the new seagate harddisk in stead of the maxtor one and rebuild the mirror?

Thanks for your kind help