Virtual Hosting Control Panel

Apatewna apatewna at yahoo.gr
Fri Apr 6 05:47:56 UTC 2007

O/H Marc G. Fournier έγραψε:

>> Theres always raqdevil (www/raqdevil http://www.raqdevil.com/) although
>> i'm afraid its BSD not GPL Licenced ;)
>
> First thing in favor of it, the BSD license ... second, developed under FreeBSD
> :)

...third it is abandoned http://www.freshports.org/www/raqdevil

I have sworn to never touch a web interface for an application again,
unless it is something in the lines of SWAT for Samba or qmailadmin.
Other web-based panels although nice and handy, they just add another
layer of complexity and bugs. My main experience is with webmin.

I remember a couple of months ago when I installed squid and webmin to
create a "proxy product". I tried to implement bandwidth management
through webmin and failed for no apparent reason. Not to mention
clicking various buttons for more than ten times, to change the
appropriate values.
After too much effort, I manually edited squid.conf and realized that
all the bandwidth management was done in a single three-digit line of
text, which webmin kept screwing arround. So why bother with the extra
bloat?

Furthermore, try to setup a mail server using a web panel. When the
server breaks you will have two things to consider:
a) if the mail package caused the problem
b) if the web-panel caused the problem

I have seen webmin adding crontab entries by wrapping all of them into a
perl script and cronning this particular script. Imagine the frustration
when for some reason perl gets hosed. Suddenly your crontab is not
working, how could you possibly imagine that the above perl-wrapping
exists so that you can correct it?

Webmin is nice, I have installed it several times back in my learning
days and it has helped me get a jumpstart in testing. But now when
considering professional use, I'd rather skip it so that I have less
things to worry about.

--
RTFM and STFW before anything bad happens