Should sudo be used?

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:58:45 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, Victor Engmark <victor.engmark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to use sudo on my FreeBSD laptop, but I'm
> having doubts after checking the handbook (it's not mentioned at all) and
> Google (most of the articles were obscure and / or old).
>
> Are you using sudo? If not, why?
[...]

I am the only user on my system and I use sudo for all commands that
require root access. My primary reason is proper logging in the
syslog. All commands that I execute using sudo are logged to the
syslog - this way I know have an audit trail of my actions, when I am
sudo to root. In contrast, doing a su and executing commands leaves
back no trail whatsoever...

Here is a snippet of my syslog, when I executed whoami (just as an
example) with sudo:
Apr  5 15:26:07 zimbu sudo:     amar : TTY=ttyp4 ; PWD=/home/amar ;
USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/whoami

Cheers,
Amarendra