pop3 problems

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Wed Apr 4 15:44:48 UTC 2007

I am trying to get pop3 working on freebsd 6.1 but am having no success.

mail ports installed:
[root at dns1 /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw]# pkg_info |grep mail
cclient-2004g,1     Mark Crispin's C-client mail access routines
imap-uw-2004g_1,1   University of Washington IMAP4rev1/POP2/POP3 mail servers
maildrop-2.0.2      Mail delivery agent (MDA) with filtering abilities
postfix-2.3.8,1     A secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
[root at dns1 /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw]#

In inetd I have:
pop2    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop2d   ipop2d
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d   ipop3d
imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd    imapd
When connections are attempted there is no response from the server.

When an attempt is made to connect to pop3 the server is found, connection is
made but there is a problem with password verification.

Can anyone help me identify the problem. I have not been able to find a check
list to help.

How do I get logging information for pop3?

Thanks david