Help! Mail to 'localhost' not staying local

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Apr 3 13:51:28 UTC 2007

Your domain is not set correctly, or you set it to athome.net.  Sendmail is
just trying to deliver the email.  Normally you don't need the domain to
send to root.  As long as you have root defined in /etc/mail/aliases you
should be able to send to just root.

@reboot /bin/echo "reboot" |/usr/bin/mail -s "start-up at `date`" root

         -Derek

At 08:34 AM 4/3/2007, V.I.Victor wrote:
>Somthing changed -- literally overnight!  Or perhaps, some old problem is
>just showing up.
>
>All my log reports, et cetera are stuck in mqueue.
>
>Example -- for years, the following line has been in root's crontab:
>(sorry if folded)
>
>@reboot /bin/echo "reboot" |/usr/bin/mail -s "start-up at `date`"
>root at localhost
>

>It has worked without any problems delivering an email indicating start-up
>time.
>

>Now...  Well, here's some lines from the 'mqueue' file:
>
>H??Received: from zebra.athome.net (localhost.athome.net [127.0.0.1])
>         by zebra.athome.net (8.13.3/8.13.3) with ESMTP id l33AFhEA000481
>         for <root at zebra.athome.net>; Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:15:44 -0400 (EDT)
>         (envelope-from root at ld2.networksolutions.com)
>H??Received: (from root at localhost)
>         by zebra.athome.net (8.13.3/8.13.3/Submit) id l33AFhqS000433
>         for root at localhost; Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
>         (envelope-from root)
>
>It seems that my local network name of "athome.net" is being "evaluated."
>
> >From 'whois athome.net' --
>
>    Domain Name: ATHOME.NET
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
>    Name Server: NS3.LAMEDELEGATION.NET
>    Name Server: NS4.LAMEDELEGATION.NET
>    Updated Date: 02-apr-2007
>    Creation Date: 30-nov-1999
>    Expiration Date: 30-nov-2015
>
>It's been around since 1999, but was updated yesterday.
>

>I'm assuming I did something wrong years back in my 'sendmail' setup.  At
>this point, I certainly don't remember the whys & hows of what I did!
>
>Could someone *please* help?
>
>Thanks! V

>--
>believed to be clean.