automatically starting PostgreSQL

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Mon Apr 2 20:26:34 UTC 2007

> For reasons having to do with our particular operation, it is our
> custom to build many packages from source code no matter the
> operating system, so I don't want to install from the ports tree.

The ports tree is just there for installation from source and putting
the software after compile into canonical locations (and adding
usually the necessary startup scripts etc. in the process - Ports are
not to be mixed with packages.

As FreeBSD supports the source centric way from centralised location,
there shouldn't really be any need for doing the compile outside the
ports tree. You can basically tweak the ports to your hearts content
(most of the relevant options can be tweaked from the ports Makefile
already) and in addition the port installs into location using a
method the rest of FreeBSD users can give you meaningful advice.

-Reko