"ffs_valloc: dup alloc" panic under 6.0 with RAID 5 iir driver

Philippe Lang philippe.lang at attiksystem.ch
Mon Apr 2 13:23:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

After 370 days of uptime, I suddenly got an "ffs_valloc: dup alloc"
panic under our production server, for the swap partition.

-------------------------

Dump header from device /dev/da0s1b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture Version: 2
  Dump Length: 4026068992B (3839 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Mon Apr  2 08:44:33 2007
  Hostname: xeon.attiksystem.ch
  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
  Version String: FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #0: Sun Mar 26 15:43:19 CEST
2006
    plang at xeon.attiksystem.ch:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP-ATTIK
  Panic String: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
  Dump Parity: 1261171921
  Bounds: 0
  Dump Status: good

-------------------------

xeon# more /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0
0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1
1
/dev/da0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/da0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/da0s1d             /var            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0

-------------------------

After a reboot in single-user mode, fsck found 200+ errors (a lot of
soft updates inconsistencies, plus others), but corrected them
apparently well. At the next reboot, except a few things, everything
works fine, but this is quite frightening.

The server has an INTEL SRCU42L card, with RAID 5, firmware
2.34.05-R043. (iir driver)

What would you change first in order to correct that problem? OS patch
release? OS version? Raid firmware?

The odd thing here is that swap ist not used at all on this server,
built with 4 GB and where no more than 2 GB is being used.

Thanks!

Regards,