Where the fsck are my files? (Was: no subject)

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sun Apr 1 05:40:12 UTC 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007 23:30, Michael Brady wrote:
> I am very new to Freebsd so this might be a dumb question, but I can't find
> an answer through FAQ..
>

> I used the command "make install clean" to install some ported
> applications, and the installs went off without a hitch and reported
> successful.My problem is that I can't find the locations of the installed
> applications or the executables for the apps to run them.What am I missing
> here?
>

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Michael Brady
Michael,

From the port directory, e.g. /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer, type this:

cat pkg-plist | more

This will show you the list of files and directories that were installed by
the

make install

command.

If you are using csh for your shell then the newly installed files will not be
immediately available unless you type

rehash

from the shell where you invoked make.

Good luck!