'File too large' mail delivery error

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Sep 30 19:12:18 PDT 2006

On 2006-09-30 22:02, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 September 2006 23:27, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > What does postconf have to say about mailbox size limit?
> >
> > # postconf mailbox_size_limit
> > mailbox_size_limit = 51200000
> > #
>
> Yes, that is the same number I get. So why did this mysteriously just
> start after I updated FBSD?

I don't think I can answer this, since I don't know what the
configuration of your Postfix was before and what it is now.

Nothing happens 'mysteriously' though.

For example:

  * Did you recently update FreeBSD *AND* update all your ports with
    portupgrade or similar?

  * If yes, did you backup your Postfix configuration?

  * If you really did keep backup copies, can you show me the output of
    diff(1) on the old main.cf and the new one?

> I am using dovecot as the LDA so I would not have thought that a size
> limit set in postfix would have an bearing on dovcot's ability to
> deliver mail. In any case, I have had mail folders over 75M in size
> and neither dovecot nor postfix complained.

Well, they do now.

Even if we can't find out why they didn't before, we currently know how
to fix this :)