Trouble with Berkeley DB version 4.4.20?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Sep 30 11:14:03 PDT 2006

Mark wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I realize this is probably not the most flashy issue, but, if possible, I
>would really like an answer to this question. I compiled BerkeleyDB 4.4.20
>with the following in config.in:
>
>INCLUDE = /usr/local/include/db44
>LIB = /usr/local/lib    # also tried /usr/local/lib/db44 directly
>DBNAME = -ldb-4.4
>
># end of file config.in
>
>I have done this upgrade path for BerkeleyDB and Perl several times; from
>1.85 -> 4.1 -> 4.2, and now -> 4.4.20. It has always worked well. Even now
>it compiles just fine. It just isn't stable anymore.
>
>If someone out there has an idea, I'd really like to know.

I don't have any good answers for you, sorry.  Probably no-one is
answering because no-one active is doing anything with these particular
package versions.

But, there is a port of BerkeleyDB (databases/p5-BerkeleyDB) which would
save you from having to mess around configuring config.in yourself.
Just set something like WITH_BDB_VER=44 (or 42 or...) in pkgtools.conf
(for portupgrade) or make.conf or on the command line.  The port doesn't
seem to do any local patches so I wouldn't expect it to work any better
for you, unless you have been doing something wrong.

I use 4.2 with p5-BerkeleyDB and no problems for me, but I do nothing
complicated - really just pretend it's 1.85 without bugs!

What about 4.3?

If you don't need the functionality of 4.4 then downgrade back to 4.2
and keep an eye on the 4.4 and p5-BerkeleyDB ports, and try again in a
few months.  Other than that, try google as your problem may not have
anything to do with FreeBSD, or try asking the p5-BerkeleyDB author -
maybe they have other feedback like yours.

--Alex