Can't ping localhost?

Laurence Sanford lauasanf at wilderness.homeip.net
Sat Sep 30 08:24:53 PDT 2006

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Laurence Sanford wrote:
>> Anyone got any ideas on this?
>>
>> lauasanf at colossus(~)$ ping 127.0.0.1
>> PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
>> ^C
>> --- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
>> 6 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>>

>> lauasanf at colossus(~)$ ifconfig lo0
>> lo0: flags=8008<LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>
> If there isn't an "inet 127.0.0.1" entry following, the loopback isn't
> properly configured.  Perhaps you have a "network_interfaces" entry
> listed in /etc/rc.conf which does not mention "lo0"...?

Thanks for even bothering to reply Chuck. Honestly, at my age, I should
know better than to post to mailing lists while too tired to be
coherent. The actual point of my question was, how exactly does a system
come to boot up without having lo0 configured as 127.0.0.1? I do have a
network interfaces line in rc.conf that specifies nve0, but that's the
way it's always been on this box, and this is only a recent development
that it's not been assigned correctly at boot time. I was looking into
several other issues I've been seeing (not getting emails from this box
for periodic tasks, etc) and finally ran it down to this. Did something
change recently? My last update was sept 2nd, and this stopped working
for me only about a week ago, maybe two, so it didn't coincide with that
update. Now that I've got a little more mental capacity to work with,
anyone got something to point me in the right direction? Is it a good
idea to configure lo0 in rc.conf even though it should happen
automatically? Thanks again.