backup existing sata drive

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 15:09:13 PDT 2006

Good evening peeps,
I have this 80gb sata seagate harddisk in my freebsd
amd64 system. This harddisk is partioned so I can dual
boot with Ubuntu. So I have data on my freebsd
partition as well as on my ubuntu partition.

As I'm getting paranoia, I would like to know how to
get by this situation, now that I've ordered a new
sata seagate 80gb harddrive.

I waant to use this extra drive as a backup solution.
What options do I have?

a) Can I just plug the new hard drive in and write a
script that dumps the entire /usr/ directory onto the
new hard drive? But what about my ubuntu partition
then?

b) Should I use raid-1, disk mirroring for this
situation, knowing I will "loose" a whole 80gb disk?
Will it work for the entire disk? What about the fact
that I'm NOT starting with two empty disks?

Hope anyone can help me out.
I've never been there, so these will be my first
steps.

Thanks in advanced