Periodic Emails are not coming

Drew Sanford lauasanf at wilderness.homeip.net
Fri Sep 29 08:35:01 PDT 2006

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Abid Saigol wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently, the daily/weekly/monthly periodic emails have stopped
>> coming from one of my servers.  There were no changes made of the
>> system, except that part of the filesystem was exported as an NFS
>> share.  These shares are setup on another FreeBSD machine for
>> automount.  I have checked my /etc and /var/logs and cannot find any
>> reason for the mails to have stopped.  Any help and guidance will be
>> greatly appreciated.  Here are some of the relevant files:
> Have you inadvertently aliased the root user to another user?  Or
> perhaps you deleted an alias and should be looking in the "root" mailbox?
> I have virtual mail setup on my systems and I lost periodic emails as
> well until I configured postfix correctly to consider my local
> machine's hostname as an acceptable recipient.  I now alias root to
> the virtual user I want to receive these emails.
I had this same thing happen recently on one of my machines, but it was
one I use for my desktop. They stopped for me when I installed KDE,
upgrading from enlightenment. I don't know if there's something going on
with a particular update or not, but honestly, the mails don't even
appear to be getting generated, which is to say, I don't know if the job
is even being run. Can you determine if the job is being run for you or not?