Permissions on /var/mail directory

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Sep 29 08:13:09 PDT 2006

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p8
postfix-current-2.4.20060903,3
dovecot-1.0.r7

I just did a buildworld along with a new kernel this morning. While doing
the installworld, I noticed an error message displayed regarding
the /var/mail directory. I have the directory set to: 1777 so that dovecot
can assess it. The installworld process reset the permissions to 0775 which
were not sufficient for Dovecot.

The dovecot.log file had over a hundred entries similar to this:

deliver(gerard): Error:
open(/var/mail/.temp.scorpio.seibercom.net.1123.cd38cd4d82e1368f) failed:
Permission denied
deliver(gerard): Error: file_lock_dotlock() failed with mbox
file /var/mail/gerard: Permission denied

Obviously the /var/log/maillog had similar fail warnings.

By changing the permission to 1777 on the /var/mail directory and running
postsuper -r ALL, I was able to get the mail delivered. This is the second
time this has happened. The last time I rebuild world I experienced the
same phenomena. Why does build world insist on changing the directory
permissions and is there a way I can prevent it from doing so?

What I am trying to determine is if I really should have those settings on
the directory, or if I have something configured wrong in either postfix or
dovecot.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

Antique fairy tale: Little Red Riding Hood.
Modern fairy tale: Oswald, acting alone, shot Kennedy.