nested labels

Adam Martin adamartin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 28 00:10:34 PDT 2006

On 2006 Sep 28 , at 01:08, Jeffrey Katz wrote:

> Adam Martin's discussion of nested partitions was very enlightening
> and useful.  A nice thing about the approach is that it can be used on
> a "dangerously dedicated" hard drive.

	Well, it merely takes advantage of GEOM.  You can even nest GPTs, and
other things inside of BSD labels, and vice versa.  The most important
thing to keep in mind is that every time that you create a new "device"
from partitioning a device, GEOM allows you to install partitioning
tables on them, and make more "devices" from those.  As can be seen
from my absurd case.

	That said, there are many good reasons to avoid over-partitioning a
drive.  Data can become more difficult to organize, as various
filesystems have limited space, and start filling up at different
rates.  Also, failures in the sectors that contain the partitioning
tables will cause you to have great difficulty in reconstructing data,
in the event of disc failures.  Don't over abuse nested partitions.  I
like to keep a paper copy of the actual sizes of all the entities in my
partition tables, and their offsets, and mountpoints.  At least once,
this knowledge has helped me recover from serious disc failure.

	With the advent of half-terabyte, and larger drives, we're nearing the
upper bounds of 32-bit bounded filesystems, and partitioning tables.
GPTs are supposedly able to handle larger volumes than 2TB.  Keep an
eye on the freebsd large disc project:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/bigdisk/index.html

Cheers,

--