Downgrade from 6.2 PR to 6.1 RELEASE?

Chris snagit at cbpratt.prohosting.com
Wed Sep 27 16:47:07 PDT 2006

I felt I should ask this question before taking a drastic action. I
built this new production system complete with jail (which I can
recreate very quickly) and all was running perfectly under 6.2
PRERELEASE. I was planning taking a chance and going production
(against common wisdom of running 6.2 PRERELEASE in production).
Yesterday I decided to cvsup and rebuild one more time and discovered
a glaring problem on this AMD64 Tyan s4882. It can't reboot with the
reboot command or shutdown -r about 75% of the time, it hangs between
the uptime output and where it states Rebooting, then requires a
manual reset to get going again. This tells me I have to fall back or
will create a nightmare for production use. Presuming I can live with
certain driver issues on 6.1 RELEASE P6, are there any serious
dangers or unique procedures in going backward, to RELENG_6_1 from
RELENG_6 that suggest it would be better to just start from scratch?
I've not fallen back from CURRENT to a RELEASE, this will be my first
time.