GAIM not capable of sending files, but can receive

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Sun Sep 24 14:38:09 PDT 2006

Armin Pirkovitsch wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Sorry, maybe a little bit off-topic here.
>>
>> I tried using GAIM as IM, but ran into trouble. Receiving documents is
>> working, but with or without any kind of firewall sending files is not
>> possible.
>>
>> The GAIM installation is as is taken from the ports collection, firewall
>> disabled ... Tried ICQ/MSN/Yahoo and IRC, always the same, no sending,
>> but receiving ...
>>
>> Any help appreciated,
>>

> Are you connceted directly to the net or over a router / server with nat?
> If it's not directly you have to forward ports to the client pc for
> direct connections (like  file sending)

My box at home is connected to the net via a DSL router. The box has a
192.168.xxx.xxx Ip, and therefore, I think you sketched the problem the
right way. Is there a way to do this automatically via pf(1)? It would
be weird to forward each connection, most of them DHCP obtained IPs, by
hand. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with that stuff ...

Regards,
Oliver