Openbgpd TCP-MD5

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Sun Sep 24 00:21:18 PDT 2006

Hello,

Does anyone know if TCP-MD5 is working with OpenBGP on Freebsd ?

I've got a Freebsd 6.1 system (6.1-RELEASE-p5) on which I've tried both
openbgpd and openbgpd-devel.
The system has a test session now with a Cisco 3750 equipment.

On the OpenBGPD machine I have setup the Cisco neighbor with the  tcp
md5sig password option.
On the Cisco machine I have setup the OpenBGPD neighbor with the
password option.

Upon starting the session the OpenBGPD machine reported pfkey setup failed.

I used setkey to add the following (after adding FAST_IPSEC and TCP-MD5 in the kernel):

add ip-openbgpd ip-cisco-bgp tcp 0x1000 -A tcp-md5 "password I used";

On the Cisco device if I issue a show logg I can see:

%TCP-6-BADAUTH: No MD5 digest from ip-openbgpd(179) to ip-cisco(15581) (RST)

Also the OpenBGPD FreeBSD system displays:

kernel: tcp_signature_compute: SADB lookup failed for ip-cisco

Help wanted:) if possible

Thanks,
Mihai