Want to install RELEASE-6.1, have 5.3 disks

Jason Artz jasonartz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 13:34:33 PDT 2006

Hello,

I want to install FreeBSD 6.1 on my system, but I only
have a version 5.3 CD.  I can tell sysinstall to get
6.1 instead of 5.3 via FTP (under "Options, Release
name"), but I read that using an old sysinstall to
install a new version is a bad idea.  I cannot figure
out how to obtain a new sysinstall without making boot
floppies (I have no floppy drive nor a CDRW).  Can I
install 5.3 and then somehow upgrade via FTP to 6.1?
Or download the new sysinstall to my 5.3 installation,
run it, and install 6.1 instead?  What's the best
method?

Thanks,
Jason