Creating a bootable CD with CD Loader

Chris phatfish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 06:13:06 PDT 2006

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply.

How do you mean it doesn't boot fully? Creating a bootable cd is in the
> handbook.

My first test cd didn't boot because it couldn't find a root filesystem to
mount i think. I sorted that by just borrowing my fstab from my running
system and put in on the cd in /etc/fstab.

# mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -b boot/cdboot -o /tmp/bootable.iso /tmp/cdfiles

> Your tmp/cdfiles should contain a boot folder matching that on the
> encrypted system. You'll only need the kernel and modules that you load
> though and gzipping them will speed up the slow boot. You'll also need
> to modify your loader.conf:

Thanks for that, i was wondering where that cdboot binary was, it seems it's
in the /boot directory. Dunno how i missed that :)
Unfortunately my BIOS wont boot from a pendrive, so ill just run it all off
a CD. But making the bootable CD ended up being harder than it should have.

Chris