6.1 and NFS

Robert Joosten robert at ml.erje.net
Fri Sep 22 12:26:51 PDT 2006

Hi,

> >I observed running a pxe client running fbsd 5.[45] being served by
> >nfs-box running 5 (and 4
> >nowadays because of asr0 trouble due to geom) having disabled
> >rpc.lockd
> >the box doens't let me run adduser, but with rpc.lockd enabled it's
> >fine
> >with 'em. Is that strange or am I missing (some) insight about this
> >matter?
> That's interesting.  Are you getting a "could not lock the passwd
> file: EOPNOTSUPP" failure with rpc.lockd not enabled?

I never witnissed any message. After I press enter (adduser) nothing
appears on the screen at all. But it has been a long time ago and I'm
currently unable to experiment. I hope tomorrow I will. I assume
it's a good idea to run a debug kernel ?

I also recall there were some occaisions I once run adduser that went ok,
but the second (and more) times in a row it just locked. These cases were
never reproducable, however I had the idea something called some rpc.lockd
procedure before. In all these cases, the box ran the standard sendmail
enabled. Maybe in these occasions the box did a 'lock' before, and all
subsequent flock() calls stall. Something like that. I'm not sure but at
that time I presume I ran a 6.0-rel pxe client served by a 5.3-rel nfs
server; I really forget though and didn't take any notes either.

Regards,
Robert