Is /boot/device.hints required if kernel is built with hints?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 08:02:51 PDT 2006

I was trying to build a kernel with statical device hints by
uncommenting the following line in my kernel configuration file:

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
hints		"VT.hints"		# Default places to look for devices.

Before doing this I moved /boot/device.hints to another location.

when I do #make install I get

You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/VT.

Why do I need /boot/device.hints if I have the hints in the kernel?

thanks
anton