TCL84 Build error Socket Tests Hang FreeBSD 6.1-Stable #6

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 18:12:00 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm having trouble building tcl84. These issues did
not seem to exist until I updated the ports tree and
world the other day

Heres the basic stuff:

FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #6 Sun Sept 17 22:03:38
is what uname -a spits out ports were updated right
before the system source update.

make.conf has

CFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
CXXFLAGS+=-O3 -fno-strict-aliasing
COPTS=-pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
CPUTYPE=pentium4m
MAKEOPTS="-j5"

my ports.conf has:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/lang/tcl84}
WITH_THREADS=YES
BLACKHOLE=YES
.endif

ports.conf is loaded into make.conf with this

.if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports*}
include /foo/bar/ports.conf
.endif

I use it to make configuring ports easier and more
standard then the portupgrades configuration method.
I initially attempted to rebuild the system with

portupgrade -afR

but found tcl84-threads hanging on socket test 7.4
although it says every single test fails. So because
my system was a little messed up due to having half of
gnome-2.12.x and gnome-2.14.x because of updating the
ports tree halfway through the build to start because
of a then broken port... and now because of a hlf
rebuilt system. I decided to do a pkg_delete -a and
start over from scratch to see if my configs would
work right. The port still halts on socket 7.4 test,
and halted at one point for 8+ hours when I was off at
work.

on a tangent Xorg seemed to be busted after being
rebuilt and configured (X -configure) I did notice
something about drm in the kernel now is I915 support
in there now???

I've read socket test hangs could be because the
tunable net.inet.tcp.blackhole is enabled but it is
not on my system. That is why I added BLACKHOLE=YES to
my config to try to disable the tests as the Makefile
suggests but the build seemed to ignore me.

then I starting getting these kernel panics. Once
while it was testing and the next time right after I
rebooted in to single user mode to assess filesystem
damage.

Fatal double fault:
eip=0xc0729c9c
esp=0xdc4fe00c
ebp=0xdc4feb78
panic: double fault

I suspect that my 2nd dimm banks memory controller has
finally shit the bed in my laptop, but post cause
maybe it is related. I'm not certain what a double
fault is exactly; not off a tennis court anyway...

I will see if I can find the reason for the double
faults by removing the likely unreadable memory stick
and attempt to update the source and ports trees and
see if that helps, but not before dumping my system to
tape.

any help would be appreciated.

-brian