what happened to /dev/cuaa0

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Sep 21 08:00:53 PDT 2006

In the last episode (Sep 21), KHOO Guan_Chen said:
> I installed FreeBSD 6.0 on an old compaq 500 desktop a few weeks ago
> and am now interested in connecting to the internet with dial up
> modem.  But when I gave the command pppd (as root), I got the error
> "unregnized option /dev/cuaa0". Sure enough I could not find
> /dev/cuaa(0,1). I could only find /dev/cuad(0,1) Changing to
> /dev/cuad0 in my options file was not help
>
> Could some kind soul tell me what to do.

Switching to cuad* should have worked.  sio(4) was the only driver
where the cua* and tty* devices had different letters, so the cuaa*
devices were renamed in 6.0 to match their ttyd* counterparts.  If
you're using an internal modem, if may be a "Winmodem" requiring a
special driver.  The comms/ltmdm port may help here.  If it's an
external modem, try cuad1.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com