Using FreeBSD as a router

Elijah Savage esavage at reyrey.net
Thu Sep 21 07:06:47 PDT 2006

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> It's time to upgrade my old Cisco 10Mbps router and I am seriously
> considering using FreeBSD. I have found some solutions and wonder what
> one would recommend here on the list...
>
> Solution 1: http://tomclegg.net/256-router
> Solution 2: http://m0n0.ch/wall/index.php
>
> I want to duplicate my Cisco setup. It has 4 Ethernet ports with the
> WAN subnet assigned to the WAN port and 3 different subnets assigned
> to each of the remaining 3 ports leading to their VLANs on the switch.
> Looking for advise from those who have used the above solutions and
> their experiences.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Robert

Monowall is very nice, I have a pentium pro 200 with 256 meg of ram on a
6meg small business circuit with 3 vpn tunnels to remote sites that have
a Cisco 831, cisco pix 501, and cisco pix515. The server runs at about
10% average and it took literally about 10 minutes to set all of this
up. The problem you may have with monoowall and I need to refresh myself
with the documentation again but I believe it only supports 3 network
interfaces. If you populate the box with Intel pro 1000 gigabit network
cards they do support vlan tagging though. Good luck and let us know
what you might end up with.