FreeBSD 6.1 hangs at mountroot> during bootup

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 02:07:50 PDT 2006

Hi,

On 9/21/06, Mike Peirson <mikepeirson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> First off, I'm new to FreeBSD and this mailinglist so I hope I am in the
> right place. Anyways, right now I am having some problems with FreeBSD
> booting up. I have tried to install 3 times now and keep getting the
> same error. When I try to boot into FreeBSD, this eventually comes up:
>
>          Manual root filesystem specification:
> <fstype>
>                                         eg. ufs:da0s1a
>                    ?                 List valid disk boot devices
>                    <empty line>      abort manual input
>                  Mountroot>
>
> This seems to be a prompt where I need to specify the location of the
> root partition, but the problem here is that it hangs or freezes and I
> cannot input any text. At first I thought it may be a result of FreeBSD
> not properly recognizing my HDD's geometry but I manually fixed that and
> it still is giving me this same issue. If anyone has had a similar
> problem or knows how to fix this I would greatly appreciate any help. I
> looked through the Handbook and googled this but I haven't found a
> solution yet.
> --
> Michael Peirson

I guess you are using 6.1-RELEASE if so It's a bug in kbdmux, it was
solved after in FreeBSD-STABLE. Booting in 'Safe mode'  from the
beastie menu, should workarround your hang problem.

HTH

Regards.
--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."