Weird problem with DRAC 5

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Sep 19 10:54:55 PDT 2006

> I'm setting up a new server (Dell 1950) that has a DRAC card.  My home
> network (where I'm working on it in my spare time) is behind a wireless
> router, and the internal network is 192.168.2.0/24.  The DRAC card's IP
> address is 192.168.2.120 (gateway is 192.168.2.1.  Mask is 255.255.255.0.)
> I can access the DRAC card from the server that it's on (through its IP -
> 192.168.2.120), and I can access it from my Windows workstation that is
> plugged in to the router just like the DRAC card is (RJ45 cable.)  I'm
> pretty sure the router's interface is switched (not a hub.)
>
> I cannot access the DRAC card from my Mac OS X laptop, which is on the
> wireless network and has an address of 192.168.2.102.  When I try to ping
> the DRAC card from the Mac, I get "No route to host.  Host is down".  If I
> ping it from the server or from the Windows box, it responds fine.
>
> This makes no sense to me.  If anyone has a bright ideas what I'm missing,
> I'm all ears.

These sound like network routing problems.

> One other thing.  Using the console redirection through the web interface
> (which forces you to use IE and an ActiveX control!), I can see the console
> fine, but the keyboard and mouse (on the Windows box) don't do anything.  I
> can still login through the USB keyboard attached to the server, and I can
> see the virtualy keyboard and mouse being detected (looking at the console
> messages.)
>
> Has anyone gotten console redirection working (to include keyboard and
> mouse functionality)?

No.  It's broken right now.  Do a search on the mailing list and you'll see
lots of complaints.  It works in 7, and I've been trying to figure out what
can be MFCed to 6 in order to get it working there.  If anyone has any
insight, I'd be interested to hear it.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.