compat4x and compat5x

Jeff Cross jeff.cross at averageadmins.com
Tue Sep 19 06:47:52 PDT 2006

Duane Hill wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 3:54:50 AM, Jeff confabulated:
>
>> I'm not trying to kick any dead horses here but there are times when I
>> try to run some applications that I get some messages like the following:
>
>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found, required by...
>
>> I normally reinstall compat4x or compat5x and am good to go.  I have
>> compat4x_enable="YES" and compat5x_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf file
>> but I still get these messages and have to force a reinstall (after a
>> reboot).
>
>> I just found this thread:

>> ..and tried running the command the posted listed:
>
>> /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/compat
>
>> This worked like a champ.  I was able to immediately run the application
>> in question and didn't have to force a reinstall of compat5x.
>
>> I am sure I have missed something along the way but can someone please
>> assist me/point me in the right direction in getting this straightened
>> out so I don't have to do this manually after each reboot?  I would
>> greatly appreciate it.
>
> I  had to install both myself for an application we run on a server. I
> installed them from /usr/ports/misc/compat4x and compat5x. The install
> placed  the  startup  scripts  000.compat4x.sh  and 000.compat5x.sh in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  They  startup after reboot every time. There was
> no need to place anything in the rc.conf.

That is the ports I used to install compat4x and compat5x.  However, the
startup scripts aren't anywhere on my system.  I searched for both using
locate (after updating the DB of course) and also checked in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ manually.  Nothing...

I update my ports tree about 2-3 times a day so I would assume I am
using the latest versions of the ports.  Any idea on how I can get those
startup scripts?  I may try a complete remove and then a fresh install.

I look forward to any responses.

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com