New to FreeBSD/UNIX

Adam Martin adamartin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 18 16:13:10 PDT 2006

On 2006 Sep 18 , at 16:54, Edward and Nancy Powers wrote:

>   I am new to UNIX, and want to download a basic UNIX system, just to
>   run commands and become familiar with the system.  I wish to use this
>   system as a companion piece to a UNIX tutorial which I have on DVD. I
>   do not want to replace Windows at this time.

	Installing FreeBSD (as a UNIX) for the first time is not that hard of
a daunting task.  In all beginner cases, it is recommended that
beginners start with the FreeBSD handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

	The FreeBSD website also has very excellent documentation on how to
install the system and how to use every aspect of it, for beginners
thru experts, in the documentation section.
http://www.freebsd.org/docs/books.html

>   My PC has:  Pentium III Processor at 1GHz, 128MB RAM at 133 MHz,
>   Windows ME operating system.
>   What course of action do you recommend that I take?

	Most important is to have some way to backup and preserve your Windows
data, or to resize your windows partition to make some room for
FreeBSD.  The FreeBSD base system CAN be installed in as little as a
few hundred megabytes, but I would recommend a gigabyte or two, just to
get used to the system, and to have some space to expand.  This advice
generally applies to other UNIX systems, and UNIX-Like systems.

--
Adam David Alan Martin