Dell PE850 and FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE - Boot Issues

Adam Martin adamartin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 18 15:18:43 PDT 2006

On 2006 Sep 18 , at 17:54, Adam Martin wrote:

> On 2006 Sep 18 , at 17:39, Jeff Cross wrote:
>
>> Adam Martin wrote:

> [ Trimmed for brevity ]

	Sorry to double reply, Jeff.  I just realized something.  The box that
I've been developing AutoFS on, here at FSL is a Dell Power Edge SE
1425.  I dunno how much hardware there is in common, but I think we use
the same cdrom drive.  The one in my PE is a thin-profile drive...  it
seems to be the exact part that I had in an old Dell Inspiron.  (The
drive has no tray motors, just an electro-mechanical latch which keeps
it closed, and unlocks to let a spring pop out the tray by a few
millimetres.)

	Have you tried removing the cdrom drive from the mainboard?  Also how
did you install, from CDROM?  I have seen an issue like this once
before, back in 5.2.1 and 5.3, when trying to get it to boot on some
older laptop hardware.  The kernel wouldn't boot from some media, but
would from others.

	You may want to try someone's custom compiled kernel, not the stock
kernels...  But at this point, it is beyond the scope of a simple fix.
I am curious to know, however, because I have not seen this behavior.

Regards,

--
Adam David Alan Martin