cvsup between levels, single user issue

Chris snagit at cbpratt.prohosting.com
Mon Sep 18 14:13:07 PDT 2006

I was going to attempt an in-place upgrade of a light load server
running 5.3 to bring it to 6.1 RELEASE P6 (RELENG_6_1). I read in
UPDATING that going between 5.x and 6.x requires single user mode
which isn't an option on a remote machine (though I can stop
sendmail, bind, popper etc manually but not that which keeps me on
like sshd). I've not taken a machine to single user yet during my
builds but have always had the box in my possession and on my private
net when I've done that. I saw threads even today that left the issue
somewhat up in the air. I still need to protect the machine. Would a
doable jump be to move the machine to RELENG_5_5 remotely or would
that most likely be unsuccessful without going single user? There is
no exotic hardware on the box.