Server badwidth consumption

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 11:41:09 PDT 2006

Steve Davidson wrote:
> Hello BSDers,
> I am working for a new company that has a server running SCO (Unix flavor I
> haven't encountered b4) and I need to measure the traffic flow in and
> out of
> this box. Is there a way to do this without a) messing with the SCO box or
> configuration or b) installing a bridge between the server and the network.
> I am running FreeBSD 6.1 on my desktop. Any advice would be much
> appreciated. Thanks.

If the switch that machine is plugged into is SNMP capable, then you could
point a graphing program at that to pull down the per-interface traffic
counters.  Same thing goes for the box itself, assuming it has SNMP enabled.

If you want to get really tricky, then the ethernet tap discussed here:

   http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/

could be inserted between the host and the rest of the network.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW