Suggestions for embedded systems... ?

Brian J. McGovern mcgovern at beta.com
Mon Sep 18 06:04:22 PDT 2006

Thanks. The downsides I see are its relatively large size (ATX) and
power requirements (full ATX). What I'm looking for is more along the
lines of http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm, only with an RCA video
connector. Its small, takes virtually no power, takes car voltages (vs.
upconverting back to 110AC for an ATX power supply), and has 80% of what I
want. I just need the last 20% :)

	-B

 > --- "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern at beta.com> wrote:
 >
 > > All,
 > > 	I've been browsing the FreeBSD site looking for a
 > > system I can
 > > embed in the car. Optimally, it will do video output
 > > via a RCA cable (ala your
 > > VCR) so I can plug it in to one of the new Alpine
 > > radios with an AUX in. Input
 > > will probably come via a USB gaming pad (arrow keys,
 > > a few buttons, and 16-20
 > > keys). I'd like to have bluetooth and 802.11b/g for
 > > communicating with a base
 > > station and the in car GPS and phone audio systems.
 > > USB (4-6 ports) would
 > > be perfect - I can get the keyboard, bluetooth,
 > > 802.11g, and ODB II
 > > connectors in without a hub. Most I've seen boot
 > > from compact flash, but
 > > booting from a USB thumb drive or SD ram would also
 > > be useful. Audio would
 > > also be nice, but I can get away with the bluetooth
 > > link.
 > >
 > > 	The form factor should be as small as possible for
 > > under-seat,
 > > behind-dash, or trunk installation.
 > >
 > > 	I've seen the Soekris systems, and they're at a
 > > good price point, but
 > > while they'd support most of what I'd need, they
 > > don't seem to have RCA video
 > > output, which would be a major plus for real time
 > > color displays of status and
 > > information (has anyone played with the USB video
 > > options available? Does
 > > FreeBSD support them?)
 > >
 > > 	Suggestions? Comments? Projects already done?
 > >
 > > 	-Brian
 > >

 > sorry about the blank one I dropped/catched the
 > keyboard with the wrong anykey...
 >
 > http://www.aaeon.com/?TabIndex=Products&TabID=Detail&Cate_ID={AEEE87FC-762C-
45F1-AC39-54000B62A180}&Item_ID={88258D2F-17B8-4FA5-80D3-31E93126D326}&Product_
ID={EE4FC77D-FCFD-40EE-AA27-3CFCEA592237}