which xorg file??

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 17 22:23:01 PDT 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:26:11 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at sage.thought.org> wrote:
>

>>> xorg.conf doesn't sit in /usr/X11R6/bin, but /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
>> 	It is in my /etc/X11 directory.
>
> I dont remember when was the last time I saw it in /etc/X11... that sounds
> somewhat like a Linux layout... maybe you want to link /etc/X11
> to /usr/X11/etc ?

Actually X will search for xorg.conf in a very long list of places,
all spelled out in the xorg.conf(5) man page.  Putting it in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is pretty usual, even though the usual hier(7)
rules would lead you to expect it to live in /usr/X11R6/etc/X11/xorg.conf
or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf -- all of which are on the list of places
for X to look for the file, and it's just a matter of taste which one of
the available locations you choose.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3