rebooting into single user mode on a remote server

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 17 13:32:13 PDT 2006

Hello pobox,

> Hello,

> could somebody help me to understand the best way to enter into a single
> user mode on a remote server.

> I need it for the moment, during rebuilding world, when I have to reboot
> into single user mode before 'mergemaster -p'.

I don't want to persuade you to something that is not officially
supported, but I have never booted into single user mode while
upgrading my FreeBSD boxes and I have never experienced any problems
because of this. Just try to skip the reboot step and go ahead. It
works(tm) for me this way.

If you are paranoid, try to stop all running services except the ssh
deamon.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org