Newbie Experience (As promised)

Joel Adamson trashbird1240 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 12:22:47 PDT 2006

Dear Very Helpful and Informative FreeBSD List,

I installed FreeBSD on Friday Night and tried very hard to get it all working.  My initial X problem actually fixed itself (you can imagine my surprise), however, even with that, our computer is useless as a desktop (or anything else) without an internet connection.  My hardware is unsupported and despite my best efforts, I decided it would be better to expedite the process and I installed Mepis Linux.

I would hardly describe it the way another newbie did one week ago.  It was a good challenge.  I'll wait until I'm a better administrator and there's more support for hardware I might have.

The only really annoying thing was that I perpetually had trouble mounting my usb flash drive.  I think this was a filesystem problem.

Thanks for any help you've offered,
Joel

Joel J. Adamson
Arlington, MA