Please Help with my kernel

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Sun Sep 17 10:27:35 PDT 2006

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, ExTaZyTi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new in FreeBSD, I want to conf and re-build my kernel but the directory
> /usr/src is empty.
> I'm with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE, PLEASE HELP :(

You didn't install sources hwen you installedyour system.  The short
answer is that you need to read the section in the handbook on running
"cvsup" and getting the most recent STABLE sources, plus the section on
configuring and rebuilding the kernel.

You'll need to install the sources; the easiest way (for me) is
to use "cvsup".  You'll need to install "cvsup-without-gui" from ports
(I use "sysinstall"),
create a "/etc/cvsupfile" file, create the /usr/local/etc/cvsup directory,
and then excute "/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile".

My cvsupfile, which downloads all the sources, looks like the following.
You'll want to replace "cvsup1.FreeBSD.org" with a local mirror.

*default host=cvsup1.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6